AFRIpads is a the world’s leading social enterprise manufacturing reusable sanitary pads. We are founded on the belief that if we can overcome menstrual barriers, we are one step closer to gender equality. Our innovative menstrual health and hygiene solution drives life-changing impact through our reusable products, menstrual health education and an evidence-based approach. Our core product – AFRIpads Reusable Menstrual Kits – provide women and girls with a sustainable, quality certified menstrual product solution that offers lasting protection, comfort and dignity. AFRIpads has its head office in Kampala, Uganda and branch in Nairobi, Kenya. The AFRIpads factory is located in rural Southwestern Uganda, supported by our team of nearly 140 employees (over 80% female). AFRIpads products are exported to over 40 countries and have impacted the lives of more than 3.5 millions women and girls. To learn more please visit www.afripads.com.
AFRIpads has established itself as the leading supplier of reusable sanitary pads in the East Africa region and beyond. The company’s fastest-growing market segment is supplying reusable pads, underwear and hygiene kits to Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and multilateral organizations (ex. UNICEF, UNFPA, etc.) in Sub-Saharan African countries (ex. Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, South Sudan, etc.). AFRIpads seeks an exceptional Regional Business Development Executive who will lead the company’s expansion of sales into countries across the African continent by conducting a market assessment, leading business development and driving demand creation for the product (AFRIpads Menstrual Kits & AFRIpads Underwear). The ideal candidate is a determined, self-motivated individual who is keen to gain hands-on experience in the emerging social enterprise sector. This position reports directly to the Head of Sales and Partnerships.
- Create new opportunities for the sales of AFRIpads Menstrual Kits in African countries with high expansion opportunities such as Ethiopia, Somalia, Nigeria, Yemen etc., by identifying new partnerships with NGOs, UN Agencies, corporates and government bodies
- Effectively manage relationships with customers, partners and stakeholders
- Coordinate with the Marketing and Communications team to co-create materials for both web-based and direct marketing to customers in these regions
- Keep an up-to-date database of all AFRIpads clients on Salesforce.com
- Make field visits to customers (regional NGO offices for example) to help inform on the use and care of AFRIpads to beneficiaries, and conduct follow-up
- Attend conferences and trade shows to promote AFRIpads’ products and liaise with customers
- Monitor competition by gathering current information on the market and related products
Skills and Expertise
- Three (3) years minimum work experience, ideally in business development, sales, marketing, entrepreneurship, customer service, or a similar field
- Proven ability to strategize, organize, and deliver a customized, targeted sales pitch to a broad spectrum of potential customers, partners and stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to interact professionally and with sensitivity amongst culturally diverse staff and customers
- Understanding of the NGO and relief sector in Africa
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and proactively, with excellent time management
- Mastery of English with excellent command of the language, both written and oral
- Complete familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working with Salesforce CRM
Additional skills and requirements:
- Willingness to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends) and to travel across Africa (min. 50% of the time)
- Flexibility with shifting priorities and competing demands in a fast-paced, challenging work environment
- Commitment to the company’s mission and objectives, with a keen sensitivity to empower and enable value-conscious consumers through social enterprise
- Essential: A bachelor’s degree or certification in Social Sciences/Social Work/Population Sciences/International Development/Health/Public Health/Nursing/Medicine/Research or related fields.
AFRIpads (U) Ltd. is offering a competitive compensation package and a 2-year contract, with potential for performance-based extension.
How to Apply
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their CV and cover letter (statement of interest), contact information and names and contact details of three references to the undersigned no later than 15th March 2022. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. In case you do not hear from AFRIpads, please consider your application unsuccessful. No phone calls, please.
Submit your application to email@example.com with the subject line: REGIONAL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVE (AFRIpads)
Kampala, Uganda or Nairobi, Kenya
As soon as possible